Saturday, November 18, 2006

Getting back into the swing of things! My mood these days, is one of high spirits and optimism once again. The dark clouds that have plagued me over the months seem to have parted to reveal the light. This year has been one of many hidden blessings for me. Many people have come into my life in the oddest and most unexpected ways. While some will become a constant influence in the years to come, others will only pass by and fade into oblivion thereafter. Yet, it is interesting to see how things can go one full circle and come back to me, somehow.

It has been a rather stagnant, non-productive year, but one where I have learnt many valuable life lessons. During one of my conversations with a friend yesterday, he suddenly quipped, "Success is a poor teacher." It is one of those single one-liners that make perfect sense and bring about an immense comfort.

Does it not have such a powerful meaning? When things go our way all the time, we take it for granted and we miss out on an opportunity to learn. Sometimes, it is better to experience failure in small doses, so we can handle other major upsets better, deal with it and then move on. Nothing in this world is forever, we are constantly subjected to trials and tribulations at different stages. I feel like I have to be on my toes all the time but it keeps me alert, allows me to grow mentally and spiritually, and makes me appreciate whatever I have even more.

I have witnessed how individuals deal with emotional anguish in different ways. Some break down and cry openly, while others show a brave front to the world and cry their heart out in private. The worst kind is to self-destruct, because there may be no return. Personally, I have been on that path before when I was much younger, but I pulled myself out of it in time. It was the most painful lesson I have ever had to learn but it is one which will serve me well later in life. I do not break down in front of people, nor do I do so in private. I think I can count the number of times I actually cried this year with one hand. Hehe! I deal with shit by finding an outlet for release. What works for me is running, writing, playing the piano, immersing myself in music, reading or just simply talking about it. When I glance back occasionally, I have had no regrets with the way I have handled my life since my 'turning point'. As the saying goes, when life throws lemons at you, make lemonade.

I have been quite disciplined these days. I actually sat down in front of the piano and practised for 2 hours yesterday and today without realising it. That is because I forced myself to practise freaking scales and arpeggios . Rows after rows of them in majors, melodic and harmonic minors, thirds and sixths apart. I have not even got to the chromatic scales yet. Oh God, I cannot believe that I did not touch them for one whole damn year. Luckily I do not have to re-learn them all over again, but I have to perfect them and play from memory. Scary shit.

Ah well, I can feel a nice tingle in my toes. It is a great start to a nice weekend, more good things to come!

No comments: