Sunday, December 28, 2008

Forgiveness is a choice. It is an attribute of the strong and the ability to let go of the past. Too many people I know imprison themselves in the past as they are unable or unwilling to forgive. Instead, they choose to cling on to the hatred and wallow in the anger that serves no purpose except embitter their soul.

I loved bearing grudges when I was in my early teens. Everytime someone does or says something to hurt me, I would remember every single detail and find an opportunity to bitch about it and then, retaliate. The offending party would usually be someone who has the same malicious thoughts and suffice to say, the 'war' is neverending. It was an unpleasant affair to say the least. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Unfortunately for me, I learnt the hard way and was taught a harsh lesson, which changed me for the better. Looking back, it was a blessing that I was given an opportunity to set things right early in life. The change in attitude allowed me to live the prime years of my life harmoniously, with a peace of mind.

Throughout my life, many people have hurt and disappointed me, but I am glad that the bad memories I have tried to conjure up are now nothing more than hazy shadows. Of course, there are times where I would fall victim to my old ways, but never for long.

My best friend Nic is a shining example of the ability to forgive. The man she loved
for 6 years betrayed her and broke her heart but yet, she was able to forgive him and wish him well. It takes someone with a big, big heart full of love to be able to do that. In the process of her healing, she found the Lord and I know her life will definately be blessed and more.

No comments: