Tuesday, February 21, 2006

How the hell do you say 'chicken pie' in mandarin without sounding rude? The first thing that came to my mind was 'ji pie'. But I thought it sounded very wrong so I refrained from using it. I asked around but no one knew...surprise, surpise. Judy asked her colleague and apparently, 'ji pai' is correct. Huh?

An outspoken passenger told me to brush up on my Mandarin... What the... fuck?! Nabei lah! I was pissed of course, but then again, I was also amused haha:) Coz my Chinese does suck to a certain extent. I'm your classic 'potato'.

I served him the 'ji pai' in the end.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you explain why that might be considered rude?

Anonymous said...

ji pai sounds like cheebye! dats all the reason to be rude!
wahhaha ;0

alhnom said...

Its "ji bing", babe. I checked the dictionary =)

Anonymous said...

Muahaha !! :D That was a tough one . :D Maybe next time say ji rou pie ? (As in chicken meat pie) Sounds better ? :)
Ranz

Vanessa said...

Thomas: See the comment below yours... That is Hokkien for female genitalia. Hahaha! It's a swear word!

Ranz n Jude: Haha! I found out the best way to say it. Asked my instructor. He said its 'ji rou tao bing'. That is the most professional no? And I think the mainland Chinese would understand it:)