Friday, May 04, 2007

"Know thyself", as quoted by Socrates, a 5th century Greek philosopher. Two simple words, yet of such profound wisdom. The path to self-discovery is an arduous, yet strangely liberating experience. However, self-awareness can be a double-edged sword. While it is the beginning of change, knowing what you do not like about yourself is at times, hard to bear.

A person's personality is made up of many complex layers, such as mine is. I have been painstakingly stripping away the layers one by one to know more about myself. I do not like what I see buried deep underneath. That side is kept buried for a good reason, but of late, it is starting to surface with alarming frequency. It is that alter ego that is a part of me and I do not like her at all...

On the whole, I would say I am quite at peace with myself, but there are also certain aspects of me that trouble me quite a bit. The lines between right and wrong are threatening to be blurred and it is a struggle to stop both sides from meshing with one another. Because I know that should I allow them to, I will have to deal with the emotional and mental chaos that will ensue. To plunge into the depths of self-loathing is not something I can just simply breeze through and be fine with it, because I know I cannot live with it.

We are all flawed and weak, although it is something that is very hard to admit. I know it is better to face it and do something about it than having to face damaging consequences. Such is life.

No comments: