Sunday, September 03, 2006

Choice. This is a word I keep hearing over and over again. Yet, it must be a word with a powerful connotation if it is being brought for two Sunday sermons in a row by two different pastors.

Again, it got me reflecting about the way I have been living my life. Sometimes, we are bombarded by so many options that we are spoilt for choice. While at times, there is just that one single choice when we have exhausted all avenues. To me, having a choice is the greatest thing because we are given the power to change our lives.

I must stress that making the right choices comes with proper guidance. I must say that I am blessed with a good family and great friends who give well-meaning, thought-provoking advice. I consider everything before making my choice. Being no stranger to making bad choices in my youth and having to learn painful lessons, I turned to religion. When your soul is weary and crying out for help, it is the only salvation. I chose God as my salvation.

There were periods in my life where I live day to day with a huge gaping void in me that made me numb. Many people, including myself, see numbness as a form of protection from getting hurt. It is only today that I realize what a scary thing it actually is.

Reverand Dr. C.C.K touched on this in his sermon today. Nature abhors a vacuum. This is an idiom used to express the idea that empty and unfilled spaces are unnatural as they go against the law of nature and physics. He believes that whatever is removed, must be replaced with something. If that space is left empty, something more omninous breeds in its place.

Looking back, it was when I had that gaping void in my life, that I made some of the worst decisions. I cannot even begin to express my horror upon realizing how some of those choices could actually be irreversible and destroy me.

That aside, I am a much happier person now that I have chosen my path, the people I want to keep close to me and the kind of life that I want to lead. Despite the many struggles I still face, I now understand and see that it has its purposes. Amen to that.

I will not be updating for awhile as I will be away for several days to Dubai and then to Moscow. I will miss everyone dear to me.

No comments: