Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Now that I've calmed down somewhat, I am going to try blogging again. Nabei. Heh. Earlier this afternoon, I wrote about Moscow in detail and was almost done when I accidently refreshed the page and the entire post got deleted. Oh and that happened twice.

Absolute pain in the ass. And THAT is the most annoying thing that can happen as I am someone who is not really into chronicling my trips. Oh well, shit happens.

Moscow evokes a certain kind of fascination as it is foreign and hardly mentioned until recently. It is very unlike the usual Paris, London or New York. It is a city that speaks volumes of its history and has a distinct character of its own.

If there is a colour I'd use to describe Moscow, it will be grey. What intrigued me were the cathedrals that were peppered around the city. They were like sudden bursts of colour amidst the endless greys and browns. To me, they were architectural works of art and unorthodox. I have never in my life seen cathedrals that look like mosques with a double-bar cross. And the colours! They were so gaily coloured that they reminded me of a candy factory!

Almost all of the signs were in Russian and the lettering really piques my interest and curiosity. They are impossible to figure out and they resembled the viking runes I have tattooed around my right hip.

The highlight of this trip was the visit to the Moscow Circus with some of my colleagues. Oh my God! I have heard of the Moscow Circus even before I knew Moscow was a city in Russia! We were kept entertained for 3 hours by numerous acts. The various acrobatic acts were so good that it defied logic and go beyond what you'd think a human body can do.

I seriously had trouble keeping my mouth closed and I probably looked quite silly. Hehe;p

I did not like the clowns though coz they freak me out. The fear stemmed from the movie It, based on the novel by Stephen King. That fear has been rooted in me since I was a kid. They still creep me out. Definately not a fan of any clown.

  Posted by Picasa
Moscow Circus ticket


The whole set of crew did the city tour to The Kremlin. We had an excellent guide who was very detailed and informative. In a nutshell, the Moscow Kremlin (Russian: Московский Кремль) is a historic fortified complex at the very heart of Moscow, overlooking the Moskva River (to the south), Red Square (to the east) and the Alexander Garden (to the west). It is the best known of kremlins (Russian citadels) and includes four palaces, four cathedrals, and the enclosing Kremlin Wall with Kremlin towers. The complex serves as the official residence of the President of the Russian Federation.

I cheated, I got that information from Wikipedia. I only have very few pictures. My camera ran out of juice before I could take anything else. Not that I can be bothered, really. I am horrible at things like that.

  Posted by Picasa
Red Square

  Posted by Picasa

I seriously don't care for souvenirs either. Knowing me, I will just put them away and forget about them until years later. However, I make an exception for this.
  Posted by Picasa
Russian Dolls


Thought they were quite cute. Every doll, except for the tiny one can be kept inside each other. Opening them one by one and discovering another doll inside is like eating a chocolate Kinder Bueno egg and finding some surprise. The tiniest doll is the size of a peanut. I got bored of it after playing with it for a grand total of 2 times. Now, I have no idea where to display them so I kept it back in the paper bad. See what I mean?

I would have lost this post again but this time I saved the text in a Word Document. Thank goodness I did that, I ended writing more than I intended to.

No comments: