Monday, October 09, 2006

I miss my mommy...

And I called her to tell her that, for the first time in 23 years. She has gone away to Malaysia for a few days and I will not be seeing her until I come back from London on the 13th.

My friend's mother called me while I was in Jakarta, to say thank you. All I did was to agree to bring some mooncakes to her son, studying all the way in London. It was just a simple gesture on my part, but I was surprised by how grateful she sounded. Unknown to her, she touched my heart in many ways and made me realize a few things.

I thought about my own mommy... The smile on her face when I walk through the front door... Happy, when I choose to stay at home to spend some time with her, just talking... How she would suddenly not want to go to work just because I happen to be around... Her constant worrying about me... God, the emotions I am feeling right now are hard to express in words.

Especially, when it hit me that I have taken her for granted many, many times. No doubt, she can be very harsh, often driving me to tears when she puts me down... thinking that it is for my own good. I used to resent her for that, often having to use every ounce of my willpower to keep my temper in check and not lash out at her. But I do know one thing, she loves me, my younger brother and the dogs very much and has always given us the best that she can give.

She resists changes and I know deep down, it scares the hell out of her when she realizes how much I have grown up and making my own big decisions in life. I know she is fearful that I will slip, make mistakes, and live to regret forever. It is a natural instinct for her, as my mother, to protect and shelter her little girl from the 'big, bad world' out there. More often than not, it is not in my best interests.

I talked to her about it one day and she has accepted everything I had to say. I will do her proud and I will be strong for her and myself. I love my mommy very much.

I am worried about my daddy again... I need to sleep now, flying off to London tonight. God give me strength for everything I have to face, I am praying very hard but I will take it easy. Things always work out for the best.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi hi Vanessa ,
U're so so rite . No matter wat a meanie our mums become at times , we still love and miss them alot . I tink ultimately they wan the best for us and dun wan any harm to come to their forever little babies . Haha !! :D Always muz remind myself to love her while I can , especially after reading your latest entry . :(
Watz wrong wif your daddy ?

Ranz

Vanessa said...

Hey Ranz,

Thanks for your comment, it made me smile! Yep, keep reminding yourself that you love your parents ok? Never forget.

My daddy is not feeling well... coz of the haze, and probably something else... I will keep praying and I will take over from my mom and my bro when I come back from London. Thanks for your concern gal:)

Vanessa

Ranz said...

Hey gal ,
Oh oh . Hope your daddy gets better fast . And silly haze , please be gone ... :D

Btw , did U read one of my recent entries on a neighbour's dog ? Hate to say it but it'll bring tears to your eyes 'coz the doggie is pretty like your 2 darlings .
:(

Take care babe .