Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2006, was singularly, the most significant year for me. It was the year that truly highlighted the meaning of my existence. I have experienced, discovered and learnt many important lessons that will define me in the years to come. Maybe not forever, for everything changes. But perhaps, long enough to see me through the most crucial and exciting period of my life.

Reminiscing on the events of yesteryear, there were many hidden blessings that might have escaped my understanding if I had not looked deep enough. Though there were a number of disappointments, I have accepted them because when things don’t go my way, there is always a reason behind it. And then something better comes along.

My true happiness lies not in what I have achieved, nor in the material possessions I have. It lies in the close relationships I have with the people in my life. I have rekindled old friendships, forged new ones and strengthened existing ones. I have also grown much closer to my family, especially my mom. Amidst the internal struggles that I have within myself, I have drawn closer to God.

I still have that bigger picture in sight as I make my journey towards it, but I am comforted by the fact that I know I am not alone. In the space of one year, my personal growth, both in mind and in spirit, has been quite remarkable. I have found strength and willpower that I never knew I possessed.

Just before 2006 came to a close, I attended church and I received an important message. There were many instances that I feel crushed and overwhelmed by my own expectations of myself. Sometimes, I really feel close to giving up but I choose to hold on and seek solace in my faith. Faith is an incredible thing as it gives us hope. I have had many moments of revelations in the process of seeking and once the meaning becomes much clearer to me, I feel like a tremendous weight is being lifted off my shoulders.

That important message was; I have prevailed. I let go of some things but I still held out for what is important to me. I am my own worst enemy, I have fought, I have prevailed and I have no regrets.

I did not make any New Year resolutions for myself because I am a firm believer that one does not have to wait for the start of a new year to make a change. Although, 2007 did not start well for me because of my fucking PMS symptoms, it is no excuse to allow the rest of the year to turn out badly.

I will steel my resolve to live my life happily and take it easy. Yet, I will still continue to pursue and find meaning and fulfillment in life, with quiet determination and faith. 2007 will be even better and I am looking forward to it.

No comments: