Sunday, January 28, 2007

It is really the littlest thoughtful gestures from people that put a smile on my face and set the tone for the day. A phonecall from one of my best friends last night ended my evening on a cheerful and happy note, just before I went to bed.

We take a lot of things and people for granted, which is why I want to cherish every little thing that I have. From the moments that I smile to myself, happy memories, thoughtful gestures, meaningful conversations, great company to love from all sources. Maybe when I become aware of all these, I start holding it them very close to me.

When I attended church today, there was a little Indian girl who was staring at me during the service. She did not seem wary or weary, but rather, she was openly curious. Then it struck me that I, someone who is not crazy over children, are actually drawn to them. Drawn to their innocence, curiosity and even beliefs. Untainted by society and their world painted in all sorts of pretty colours.

I came home to see both of my dogs greeting me at the door, tails wagging with identical doggy grins. Again I was struck by their open, trusting eyes full of love. As I hugged and petted them, it suddenly occured to me that the happiest people are those who openly love and give without expectations and are without cynism that taints many of our hearts.

All around me, I am surrounded by people playing games of all sorts, making empty promises and being all negative and cynical. It is really a test of my patience when I get taken for granted sometimes. But yet, I have learnt to put up with it because I do not want to have any expections from them and be unhappy when promises are not kept. I find that just breezing past and casting aside grudges make me a happier and more accepting person.

It pains me most when it is the people closest to me that are negative and cynical. I absolutely detest it, I really do but I will not allow it to drag me down. I cannot just shut them off because I care so I can only pray that they start making things better for themselves. Tempting as it is to just cast them aside, I will not, and I will just go about my business until they sort themselves out.

The sermon today was about the power of a prayer. The gist of it is that we do not have, because we do not have enough faith to ask for it. I got an answer to one of my prayers at this service... By not asking and by not opening myself up, I might miss out on a whole plethora of unexpected, delightful surprises. I will trust him with all my heart and know that He will put everything together for me because he knows what is best. Whatever it is, I am confident I can handle it, with His guidance.

God is infinite and there is no way we can ever comprehand his intentions and his plans. But then again, when we do not even comprehend ourselves, we can only look to a high power for guidance, no?

I woke up feeling like I have been dragged through the mud because of a bad throat inflammation. I went to the doctor, got some medication but I will still go to work. It is amazing that I managed to sing the songs of praise. When we were all done singing, the soreness was miraculously gone hahaha!

Managed to get some practice done on the piano before leaving for Christchurch. I will get my rest there and catch up on some reading. Now, a short run before I leave for work this evening... Ta!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It pains me most when it is the people closest to me that are negative and cynical. I absolutely detest it, I really do but I will not allow it to drag me down. I cannot just shut them off because I care so I can only pray that they start making things better for themselves. Tempting as it is to just cast them aside, I will not, and I will just go about my business until they sort themselves out."

When a person turns all negative, it could only mean he/she has been far too dissapointed and has their faith lost in goodness in life.

Is it fair you walk away from someone whom you once call a friend, without the empathy of asking a simple why and not realising your presence meant just as much having your gd friend giving you that call that night.

Not wanting to corrupt yourself with their cynical nature only makes things worse for them, and no they won't be able to sort themselves out if left on their own.

It is tiring to absorb another's life's sorrow, but we will never know nor understand the pain that went hand in hand with that negative cynical nature they have with them and only because we didn't ask and find out ourselves.

I'm just saying Vannessa. Life is too precious to walk away from anyone, and when we actually do walk away from someone, it might be someone who needs our company the most.