Monday, June 06, 2005

Phew, I am finally able to catch my breath again. I have not blogged in quite some time and I do not know where to start. It has been a really busy week, shuttling between flights, meeting up with people and doing whatever I have to do. I slept so little for the past few days, about 2-4 hours sleep every night, and I'll be out the next day from morning til the wee hours in the morning.

Bitching time. I have no love for kids. Obviously, my maternal instincts have not kicked in yet. I mean I don't hate them or anything but I am tolerant at most. I only like well-behaved ones and I really dislike noisy, out-of-control kids running around and being a pure nuisance.

I especially dislike kids who are vocal and demanding. My God. They are irritants. I swear.

Have you ever had to handle a flight full of kids on an exchange program or a school trip from China? That is still one of my nightmares to date. They would be all over the place when you're trying to conduct the meal service and practically yelling for my attention. When you offer them what you have on the cart, they'd want something else and even 2nd serving. They were so surprised I spoke to them in Mandarin, coz I don't look very Chinese to some people. I should have gone on pretending hehehe:)

I even had a fucking kid who demanded that I look for his fucking BOTTLE CAP when I was busy boarding a hoard of passengers. A fucking BOTTLE CAP mind you. I am lucky his parents were understanding when I explained to them that I have to board ALL the passengers before I go looking for the GOD DAMN FUCKING BOTTLE CAP. I shall not disclose the country they are from:)

A day ago, I did a Penang turnaround flight. Flight time was 1 hour and it was a full load both ways. There were this 2 kids, they are from the same country as the kid mentioned above btw:) Kept pressing the call attendent button repeatedly and demanding for TV and games. But there ain't no TV or games on a 1 hour flight, I had to explain that to the parents. Parents said ok but the kids still kept pressing the call attendent button and asking for the same thing. The kid could speak better English than his parents and he told me he wanted to eat NOW when I was busy boarding like 30 passengers... There was a short taxi-way, meaning I have to make sure everyone is seated as fast as I can.

...

...

It took every effort to control my facial muscles. The hair pins holding my French twist were threatening to pop out of my hair. I was not rude or anything but I am usually not so mean.

Oh and the kid unfastened his seat belt and started walking down the cabin and said he wanted to go to the toilet, when the plane was landing and it was very close to the ground. I had to get out of my seat and bring him back to the seat and told him to wait til the plane stops moving.

To be fair to them, they weren't rude or anything. But I felt the parents should have disciplined the kids more. I hate to think what they'd be like as teenagers or adults. Anyhoo, I was 'traumatized' after that, that I even dreamt of this little gal, about 5-10 years old, with her mother on the plane that night. She was really cute and she asked me for something. I told her to wait awhile. Suddenly, she screamed 'KNN CCB!!!!!!!!!!!' and started using a whole slew of Hokkien expletives at me. WHOA. I hope THAT doesn't come true.

I am so excited! I'll be flying to Paris tonight! It is my first time there by the way and I've always wanted to go! It is my team flight and I have a few friends rostered for that flight as well. Yay! It is gonna be so fun:)

I think I'll go running again before the flight, even though I'm aching all over. I need my cardio fix and I've been eating way too much again. There is no gym in the hotel in Paris:( Til then!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vannie Vannie...

seems you are really tramatised by kiddies! On a positive note,don't you think such encounters make you a better person? You are more tolerant (u have no choice),you learn to eat humble pie when ur seniors zap you,you dirty ur hands to perform tasks that you have never done before at home...

take these challenges and believe that being a FSS makes u a better person.. i have seen friends who have matured and mellowed thru the job... surprise surprise huh... but they r my age group la... it is a joy to fly with them... really...

Anyway have fun in Paris!!

Anonymous said...

Wo juede ni de Putonghua bucuo ahh...

Vanessa said...

You're right, I am really so much more tolerant, as compared to my younger days. I was known for my extremely short fuse hehehe;p

I'm also a very, very proud person but I have learnt to swallow it before I get into more trouble. I guess I am experiencing whatever changes your friends have gone
through.

I like myself so much better now, I think all my other friends would agree too:)

Thanks for the wise words of encouragement!