Saturday, July 15, 2006

Acid Bar was a very nice surprise. For once, I could actually just chill with a glass of wine, enjoy great music and have people leave me alone.

The ambience was just the way I like it, cosy and unpretentious, minus the sleaze. Most of the patrons are regulars and are there because they genuinely enjoy the music. I must rave about the talented two-piece band playing there tonight, they were simply awesome. The duo could do all kinds of songs! Any person who can play the guitar and use his feet to tap out the drum beats on a synthesizer at the same time deserves my absolute respect. The vocalist totally rocked, she was real, unassuming and connected with the audience.

It was the way she sang that struck me. She was not just a great singer who is performing, she was singing with a passion that came from the heart. Looking at her, I started to realize that one did not have to be drop-dead gorgeous to attract other people. Some people have this special quality that draws people and she is one of them. Sure it is definately a bonus to look good, but that quality is timeless and it is the essence of a person's core being.

Most people are too guarded these days. I felt that her ability to cast away her inhibitions and bare her soul makes her a very engaging person. Perhaps, if I express myself more through swearing, talking, writing and music, I'll be more captivating too? Teehee!;p

Kidding, I'm kidding! Hwahwahwa:)

Amsterdam was great though I did not do much this time round. Great company and lovely weather made up for everything else that was lacking, namely adventure and excitement. But I guess it is good to slow down once in awhile...

So, I ended up playing computer games for a change. I happened to see one of the tech crew playing Brood Wars and I got excited. Brood Wars!!! Brood Wars mind you!!! I was so so surprised people are still playing that game. I played Brood Wars when I was 15!!! I even belonged to a clan and at that time, there was only a handful of girls who were actively gaming. That was 8 freaking years ago! OMG, please don't remind me how time flies...

Anyhoo, he let me play and I was happily clicking away and thrashing the computer opponent flat. HAH! I could still remember all the building structures, the units and the build orders. PWOAH. It really didn't seem THAT long ago. A trip down memory lane. Oh and by the way, that's how I met Duckie, through gaming. And til today, he remains one of my closest friends.:)

Overall, I am quite pleased with myself, I hauled my ass to the gym after a 12 1/2 hour flight and ran on the treadmill for 45 minutes. Disciplined or crazy, I decide. Ok, it is just plain crazy hehe! The next day I did 65 minutes at a faster pace. Despite not running for 2 months, I did pretty ok. I was in a much more serene mood after that. I swear by it, it's my therapy for hangovers, PMS symptoms and sluggish energy levels.

I have the weekend off but no one special to spend it all with. I admit I do feel slight pangs of loneliness every now and then. Oh well, I made my choice and I will hold out, until the time is right. There is no reason to feel sorry for myself, is there?:)

At least, I have two happy, furry faces greeting me at the door with a volley of barks whenever I come home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol Brood War! I still have nightmares about your 10-Gateway Zealot Rush. Man that brings back some memories. You played keyboard in a band back then too, didn't you?

Vanessa said...

Tommy!!! You still remember! I was crazy over the zealots. Haha! That was fun wasn't it, the good ol' times!:)

Ladies and Gentleman, Thomas, aka Murad was the first overseas friend I made and has been my friend and mentor all this while.:)

I didn't own a keyboard so I played the piano which was hardly required. I am not good at improvising though, am classically trained.

Still, good to see you drop by:)

Anonymous said...

"Learning to let go and take it easy will make you a happy person"

aug

Anonymous said...

Yeah! My name appeared in your post haha. Time flies since BW days.. glad to see you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam at least =) I enjoy live bands as well.. I should check out the place you mentioned soon. See ya take care.